The Cripple Life, is NOT the Life for Me

Remember in Elementary school when all the guys would try showing off by doing the monkey bars, and then fall and break their arm? Ya.. well that is a mistake for Elementry kids... not 21 year olds that are in college!
Once upon a time I went to the gym with my friends, and as we were warming up and stretching, my friend Tori asked if anyone wanted to do the monkey bars, and i said YES because i love the monkey bars! So as i go on the bars after Tori, i am swinging bar to bar, and by the 3rd bar, i was hanging by my right arm to lift up and grab the bar with my left arm, and my right arm slipped right then and there, and i crashed onto the floor and landed right on my left arm, and it was all upper body, none of my lower body landed first.. so it hurt really bad! As i was rolling around yelling and yelling, my friends ran over to check on me, and my friend Ethan from the other side of the gym heard me and came over to see if i was ok.. and i couldn't move!
As i was getting evaluated by some workers at the gym, they told me i needed to see a doctor... and of course my parents are in Jerusalem.. so as i am freaking out, my friend Taylor took me to the doctor, and after getting my X-Rays done, they told me i had an Occult fracture.... so then they sent me to an Orthopedic surgeon, and as soon as he walked in the door he was like "You TOTALLY broke your Radius..." I was like..... NO!
As they wrap me up and put me in a sling, i am just thinking about all the things i was going to have to change in my daily routine..Here are some of the challenges i went through...
1. Washing my hair in the sink with 1 hand.
2. Having my friend over to help me put a garbage bag over my arm so i could try to shower
3. Buttoning and putting on my pants
4. Clasping the back of my bra together
5. Not being able to wear certain sweaters or jackets
6. Cooking was impossible
7. Typing on the computer normally took like 3 weeks
**Basically imagine life without one arm**

Some good things that came from this:
1. Everyone would hold the door open for me
2. Someone carried my stuff for me one time
3. My friend from Snow had Pizza and Dr. Pepper delivered to me
4. I finally became a pro of pouring soap all over my body and washing my hair (took twice as long)
5. Gained appreciation for having all 4 limbs attached to my body
6. I got extended due dates on assignments
7. All my friends went out of their ways to make sure i was doing ok and brought me food
8. My prayers became more sincere, and i had more time to pray and read my scriptures since i couldn't go to the gym.

I want to thank everyone who helped me through this trial in my life, even though it wasn't that big of a trial, it was something different for me that i had never gone through, and i think i needed to go through this, because it brought me closer to my family, and the gospel.
Also, its fun to see how my guy friends at the gym care so much about my arm, when i tell them i want to lift, they either tell me no very firmly, or tell me to lift really light, and its just fun to see that they care about me!

Heres a life update since the broken arm:
I don't have a sling anymore, and i can now straighten my arm all the way without it hurting. I have really good grades..which i hope they stay that way!
I have only been able to do cardio and legs at the gym (I PR'd 180 on leg press), so i better have killer legs by Spring Break!
I have made some new friends that i am SO thankful for, because they are fun, love doing what i love to do, and we go on random adventures!
The homesickness has been real... as my mom and sisters are currently running a half marathon at Disney World... and my parents send me a box full of FOOD and other goodies, and i guess i am just so homesick because in college... you just realize how thankful you are for your parents!

Anyways, to sum up this article about my broken radius problems, I'm thankful it is over with, and i am thankful for the trials i went through, because they made me a stronger person!

Thanks for reading!

XXOO,
Megs

PS. I included a picture of me and my parents... just cause i miss them and am thankful for them EVERYDAY!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BACK AT IT AGAIN

My Adoption Story

A Graduate